Polyimide Tape: Benefits for Manufacturers
What is Polyimide Tape?
Polyimide is an engineering polymer developed by DuPont™ (Kapton®) for high-temperature applications.
Thanks to its extreme thermal stability, chemical resistance, and mechanical toughness, polyimide tape is often used in the aerospace, flexible printed circuit, automotive, electronics, consumer products, and safety industries. The polymer can be refined by customizing the selection and amount of diamines and dianhydrides (those interested can go in-depth into the science of polyimides here).
A common application that requires the use of polyimide tape is high-temperature electrical insulation, such as with the consolidation of high voltage coils in power generators. Other applications can be found with advanced composites used in automotive, energy, and aerospace markets, such as in curing thermoplastics such as PEEK and PPS resin systems.
The Dunstone Solution: 208X Polyimide Shrink Tape
At Dunstone, we offer this high-temperature, dielectric tape in the form of our X Series Hi-Shrink Tapes, specifically the 208X line. Unlike other tapes that feature a maximum shrink temperature of 160ºC (320ºF) to 180ºC (356ºF), our 208X line of Hi-Shrink Tapes still begins its tailored compression curve at 70ºC (158ºF) but can continue shrinking and applying compressive force all the way up to 400ºC (752ºF).
An important note: The application in which 208X is being used will determine the appropriate maximum temperature. If you’ll be using it to apply compressive force to parts for electrical purposes, the maximum temperature is 220ºC (428ºF). For mechanical applications, the maximum temperature is the aforementioned 400ºC (752ºF).
Breakdown of 208X Polyimide Tape Benefits
- Flexible Shrink Characteristics — With a maximum shrink percentage of 12% at a shrink force of 8.9 pounds per inch, 208X will help you achieve a consistent, reliable surface finish regardless of your curing temperature. However, curing at certain temperatures allows you to control the amount of force used. For example, cure temperatures of 150ºC (302ºF) will result in a maximum shrink percentage of 8%, while temperatures up to 350ºC (662ºF) will result in a shrink percentage of 12%. This allows you to customize the shrink performance of the tape based on your compression or consolidation needs. Download the 208X product datasheet for more details.
- Perforations — Our 208X polyimide tape can be produced in perforated form, with punched holes on 1/4" (6 mm) staggered centers. This is particularly useful in applications where the material or resin system can produce gasses or other volatiles. If these volatiles were allowed to remain in the composite layup, they would more than likely result in voids, inconsistent surface finishes, and other unwanted defects that could impact part performance. Learn more about perforations in shrink tape here.
- Release Properties — Depending on the application, 208X is typically not removed from the part. If removal is required, it features natural release properties up to its maximum cure temperature. If your application requires an additional release coating on one or two sides, please contact us to discuss a customized solution.
- Flexible Sizing — Our 208X Hi-Shrink Tape comes prepared with standard slit widths of 0.5 up to 2.5 inches and is wound on 38 mm or 76 mm interior diameter cores. Custom widths in both narrow and wide web are available upon request to support your specific application. Reach out to us if you’d like to order a unique size.
See 208X in action: Request a complimentary sample of this Hi-Shrink Tape here.
Additional Information to Help You Find the Right Tape
- Navigate a breakdown of four different criteria to identify the best heat shrinkable tape for your specific application, from high-temperature curing to high volatiles.
- Learn five important steps on how to use heat shrink tape, including tips for the most effective application and methods for adjusting performance.
- Explore other high-temperature heat shrink tape examples in comparison with 208X to learn which is best for your production goals.
- Learn what contributes to an effective heat shrinkable tape application.
- Go in-depth on what perforated tape for shrink applications is, how it works, and why it’s important for achieving the best possible results.
Work with Dunstone for Your Next High-Temperature Shrink Project
Dunstone has been designing, engineering, and manufacturing a full line of polyimide tape products and those based on other common and advanced materials for years. In every application, our engineering team seeks to understand what you’re looking to achieve and partners with you on a solution to help you reach your goals. You might need one of our more popular 200 Series tapes, the high-temperature polyimide tape explored here, or a completely custom solution. Whatever your needs may be, we’ll put our knowledge and experience to work to help you deliver parts and products that deliver consistent performance for years to come.